Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Isabelle: My First Tri


We would love to hear your "My First Tri" experience. Tell your story and we will share it right here. Email Jessica at media@appletriathlon.com

Grizzly bears, elastic shoe laces and being awesome: Tri tips from Isabelle

Tell us a little about yourself! 
I’m ten years old and go to Ecole Glenmore Elementary. My favourite animal is a dog, I love track and field and synchronized swimming. 

How many Triathlons have you participated in? 6

Where / When was your first Triathlon?  
My first triathlon was in 2011 in St. Albert.  2014 was my first Apple Triathlon.

What was the biggest thing you learned from that experience? 
I don’t remember much from my first triathlon.  But for my first Apple Triathlon I learned that it is harder to race in the lake than in a pool! 

What lead you to register for the Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon? 
I like triathlons, I like that there are three different parts and you get a chance to do them all.  I also like that I see some of my friends from St.Albert at the Apple Tri as well. 

A triathlon is comprised of three different sports; swimming, biking, and running.  Which do you find is your strongest area?    The run.  

Which are you most nervous about, and how to you plan to overcome it?  I’m most nervous about the swim.  I plan on practicing in the lake more.  

What are some of the steps you’re taking to prepare for the Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon?  
I joined running club at school and was part of the relay team at the school to help me get faster.  I’m also going to the triathlon camp to work on the swim.  

What’s the best advice you’ve been given in preparation for the race?
Stay Strong, be awesome and have fun.  

Any tips, tricks, or thoughts you’d like to share with first timers? 
Swim really fast, recover on the bike ride and then run like a grizzly is chasing you. Also get elastic shoe laces, and a run belt, and make sure you know where your stuff is in the transition zone - remember some landmarks, like trees or signs, so you know where to go in the transition zone.  You don’t want to waste time trying to find your bike.

1 comment: