Saturday, May 30, 2015

Introducing... My First Tri !

Do you remember your first triathlon? Or is the 2015 Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon your first ever? Either way we'd love to hear from you! 

Competing in your first triathlon can be a bit daunting. Sharing your stories will help us create a community of support for our first-timers at the Apple Triathlon.
For more information on our "My First Tri" series contact Jessica.

To start things off, our media assistant Laura recalls her first triathlon back in 2014 ... 
Tell us a little about yourself! 
Hello! My name is Laura and I am the media assistant for the Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon. I grew up in Oakville, ON, and moved west two years ago. I fell in love with Kelowna and can't picture myself living anywhere else.

How many triathlons have you participated in?
I did a few triathlons in my youth in the Kids of Steel series back in Ontario. My dad was really into triathlons and I wanted to give it a try. My seven-year-old self absolutely hated it, and I perused swimming and left triathlon behind. It wasn't until last year that I decided to give triathlon a try again.

Where/when was your first triathlon?
My first triathlon in adulthood was the 2014 Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon! I may be a tad biased but I think it was the perfect race to reenter into the sport.

What was the biggest thing you learned from that experience?
The biggest thing I learned from participating in the Apple Tri was that triathlon isn't so scary as some might think it is. Walking into the transition area can be quite daunting, with all the fancy bikes. If you take a step back and think that everyone here is there to enjoy and challenge themselves, things don't seem that scary after all. 

What made you register for the Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon?
I absolutely loved competing in the Apple Tri last year. Being at the end of the summer, you can train the whole summer in preparation. Another reason was the amazing course the race takes place on. The swim is in Tugboat Bay and the water is flat water because they close it off with log booms, which really makes a difference. The bike is super quick, and the run is on the boardwalk along the water, it's pretty perfect.

A triathlon is comprised of three different sports: swimming, biking, and running. Which do you find is your strongest sport?
My strongest leg is certainly the swim portion, which is usually the exact opposite of most people. Coming from a swimmers background, it really is what comes most natural to me. Although being a lake swim vs a pool swim I do loose some of my edge. I spend most of my summer working on improving my open water swimming.

Which are you most nervous about, and how to you plan to overcome it?
I'm most nervous about the run; being a water baby the on-land sports are not my forte. I plan to run lots this summer, trying to get used to running and building up my fitness for that portion of the race.

What are some of the steps you're taking to prepare for the Pushor Mitchell Kelowna Apple Triathlon?
The main change I'm making in my training is doing some of the sports back-to-back in my training. I found my legs were in complete shock after the bike going onto the run. This year I hope to change that by doing more bike-run workouts. Hopefully that will take the shock out, and I'll gain more fitness.

What's the best advice you've been given in preparation for the race?
The best advice I've been given is racing your own race. There are tons of people and many waves in the race, so it's hard to compare yourself to anyone. Take it as a personal challenge and achievement. You should be proud of yourself when crossing that finish line.

Any tips, tricks, or thoughts you'd like to share with first timers?
Just go out there and have fun! Enjoy a day racing in paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment