Thursday, June 28, 2012

Apple Inspired Athlete: Barb Sharpe


Name: Barb Sharpe

City: Victoria

What’s your current age group?  50-54

What is your occupation?

Elementary School Admin. Assistant (according to the staff I run the school… not true really.)

How long have you been a triathlete? 3 years

When was your first Apple?

As a participant in 2010 but I have been a coming to the race to support my son since 2004.   

How many triathlons have you done?   

10 or so.

What Apple event will you be registering for in 2012?

Sprint

What got you interested in triathlon?

My youngest son, Matt Sharpe, started as a triathlete 11 years ago as a 10 year old and has progressed in the sport to now being on the Canadian National Development Team. My interest in the sport came from supporting him during this time. I loved the sport and finally decided to join a triathlon group, start training and do my first triathlon in 2010.  

What positive effects has triathlon had on other aspects of your life?

I have met some amazing people over the past 10 years, many who have become very good friends and I met the love of my life because of triathlon.

How many hours a week do you train? How do fit it all in?

On average I would say 12-15 hours/week. I was lucky that I was able to make a choice about having a life style job and not a high powered career so I have time for “all things triathlon” along with lots of time for family and friends.

Do you have any specific triathlon goals for 2012?

Yes I’m going to World Championships in Auckland in October and I would love to be in the top 20 in my age group.

What’s your favourite part of the Apple Triathlon?

Coming around the last corner on the boardwalk during the run. The view is to die for and you can push hard because the end is near.


Do you use online training resources or have a training blog?

I have a great training group. http://islandtriathlon.ca/ with amazing coaches!

Any other comments you’d like to make?

Just being involved with the sport for so many years before actually training and racing, was so much fun in itself. I learnt so much and met so many great people and travelled to many great races. But I always tell everyone that the best race is the Apple - great venue, great weather and the volunteers are amazing. I have encouraged many of my teammates over the past 3 years to come to Kelowna to do this race.  I really had no idea how training for triathlon would change my life in so many positive ways.   The great thing about triathlon is that if you get an injury in one, you can keep training for the other 2 - not many sports allow you to do that.


No comments:

Post a Comment